[CentOS] Centos and Bridging

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 19:25:06 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Robert Spangler
<mlists at zoominternet.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Presently I am running CentOS release 5.5 (Final).  I am looking to setup
> bridging as I would like to setup some KVM virtual hosts on my system as a
> test lab.  I am following the the instruction at this site

Don't bother.

The Qemu based tools in libvirt, and their implementation in
virt-manager, should be taken out back and forced to read Eric
Raymond's screed on open source interfaces (The Luxury of Ignorance).
Compatibility with arbitrary virtualization suites is not your friend
when it's done that badly. Simple operations, like "set up two disks
at first setup", are not possible from the GUI. This is one among
numerous utilities available from the command line setup tool that are
not accessible from the GUI: that's just a failure of GUI design.

KVM, itself, was unusable in my testing due to the "bridged network"
mishandling and its complete lack of a concept of failover for network
issues, particularly pair bonding for the server itself. PXE for the
clients was unusable, and it ran like a dyslexic on too many opiates,
slow, twitchy, and unpredicatable.

VMWare works well, even the free personal versions, and Xen used to
work well (although its purchase by Citrix has me concerned, I've not
played with it in 2 years now, and I'm very unhappy with libvirt.)