[CentOS] simple website hit counter

John Hinton webmaster at ew3d.com
Sat Nov 27 15:50:41 UTC 2010

On 11/26/2010 11:37 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 23:32:07 -0500
> John Hinton wrote:
>
>> Webalizer comes with CentOS. I find it easy to enable and provides all
>> the basic stats one would need.
> As far as I'm aware, webalizer is a comprehensive reporting tool similar to
> awstats.  Which is a much bigger hammer than what I'm looking for.

You set it to run once per day against the logs for that website...
normally around midnight. The loads aren't that bad. The reporting I
think defaults to 12 months of stored data which is stored normally in a
directory in the web root for that website. That directory of course can
be protected by something like htaccess.

Most of the old hit counters counted 'hits' instead of pages. So if a
page had the text document and 9 graphics they counted as 10 'hits',
not  1 'page view'. It has been maybe 6 or 8 years since I've bothered
to look at these counters as they are pretty much antiques now.

--
John Hinton
877-777-1407 ext 502