[CentOS] Minimising disk I/O

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Mon Nov 29 18:38:41 UTC 2010

I've added a second IDE card to my system on the PCI bus,
and added a small HDD on the Primary Master port for that
IDE card.

This drive shows up using the Gparted live CD as /dev/hde
Which sounds about right.

The other drives show up as /dev/hda (Primary Master) and
/dev/hdc (Secondary Master). /dev/hdb is an empty removable
drive caddy (Primary Slave) and /dev/hdd (Seconday Slave) is
the DVD-RW drive.

So I now have a maximum of 8 IDE ports - 4 on the IDE
controller built into the motherboard (which BTW are all
A-OK), and 4 on the IDE-PCI addon card.

Vivard on the Ultimate Boot CD recognises the /dev/hde
drive, as being on the PCI controller.

I was also able to format the 2GB Samsung drive on /dev/hde
as linux-swap using Gparted.

The largest spare drive I have is ~7 GB, which might be
enough for a linux-swap partition, and a /var/log partition.

The idea is to have any logging and other intensive disk I/O
on a spare disk drive, so as not wake up the main hard drive
with the Linux root partition on it.

I just want to write any 'disposable data' to a spare
hard disk drive, and keep this seperated from stuff on my
main root partition/linux installation.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

in practice they are not.