[CentOS] yum is dumb in update of gmime & gmime-sharp

William Hooper whooperhsd at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 19:07:39 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 11:13 AM, ken <gebser at mousecar.com> wrote:
> The key to the puzzle for me was that, to install gmime20, it was
> necessary to remove gmime.  I never would have guessed that... seems
> counter-intuitive to me... and the only way to find that out is to look
> in the spec file????!!  Or is there another way?

I believe if you tell yum to be more verbose it will tell you when one
package obsoletes another, but I can't remember off the top of my head
if you need "-v" or something with "-d".

> What in the spec file told you that?

The Obsoletes line:

Obsoletes: gmime <= %{version}-%{release}

> Also... I know to look in the SPEC file by installing just the src, but
> is there a shorter (another, better) way to look at it?

RPMForge is usually pretty good about having the spec files in their svn:

http://svn.rpmforge.net/viewvc/rpmforge/

However, I didn't see one for gmime20, so I just installed the srpm.

> This is all academic to me at this point... just want to learn a bit
> more about RPMs if you're up for sharing wisdom.

No problem.  I've learned it by reading mailing lists and messing around myself.

--
William Hooper