[CentOS] CF disks images and centos

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Tue Nov 30 18:11:18 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, November 30, 2010 09:46:03 am Jerry Geis wrote:
> However its not. centos boots but there are journal issues and
> everything is mounted read-only.

Can you get log snippets showing why the journal had issues?

> Any ideas why this doesnt work or how I can keep my smaller image and
> "succecssfully" put it
> on the larger CF card?
>
> I simply do "dd if=cf.img of=/dev/sde" to copy the images to CF.

I've done this before with regular disk drives (going from a 200G to a 500G SATA in this laptop I'm using right now; I used dd to copy, then I booted just fine.  I then rebooted with a liveCD and did the partition moving/enlargement that I needed to do.

Geometry issues used to be bears, but in the days of LBA (and with SCSI drives) there really isn't a 'geometry' to speak of at the OS or partition level.  The 'geometry' you quoted has the standard 255 heads and 63 sectors pseudo-geometry for both devices, and even in the days of real chs geometry issues those issues revolved around the number of heads and the number of sectors per track rather than the number of cylinders on the volume.

The dd way of copying to CF is pretty standard these days, and works almost all the time.  But this is all speculation without seeing what is causing the filesystem to go read-only.