[CentOS] SELinux - way of the future or good idea but !!!

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Nov 30 20:31:44 UTC 2010

Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 30, 2010 01:55:11 pm m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
<snip>
>> However, there are a ton of apps out there, and
>> almost no developers who have been earning their living as programmers,
>> who have any knowledge of selinux. Case in point: something here,
>> developed in-house over the last 10-12 years, lots of cgi. Another case:
>> Computer Associates' SiteMinder, big bucks commercial product.
>
> CA should know better, and if they are targeting RHEL commercially they
> should be supporting the default RHEL configuration.

Right. So, hey, do you have the rights to call CA and lean on them?
Please? I can barely get the network folks, who actually can contact them,
to understand selinux (I think of them as operators, not sysadmins).

And I notice that you don't address the other point, all the in-house
apps, and if you think management will say "sure, spend whatever it takes
to rewrite that so it conforms to selinux...", you're living in somewhere
I don't. And just about everywhere I've worked, both as a developer and as
a sysadmin had a *lot* of in-house apps.

       mark