[CentOS] Help with yum and cpio: MD5 sum mismatch

James B. Byrne

byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Tue Nov 30 20:48:13 UTC 2010

I am trying to install Ruby-1.8.7p302 on a CentOS-5.5 server in
preparation for a Rails-3 application deployment.  I have downloaded
the source from Rubyforge.org, unpacked it, and ran ./config and
make.  Everything built without error. I then ran checkinstall to
create an rpm package. That too completed without error.

However, when I try to install the resulting package using:

yum localinstall /path/to/package --nogpgcheck I get this message:
.  .  .
Running Transaction
  Installing     : ruby-1.8.7
       1/1
Error unpacking rpm package ruby-1.8.7-p302-1.i386
error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/bin/make;4cf56119:
cpio: MD5 sum mismatch

Failed:
  ruby-1.8.7.i386 0:p302-1

Does anyone here know how to work around this?

Canada  L8E 3C3