[CentOS] centos 5.5--gnome desktop--all icons disappeared.

Fri Nov 19 20:39:54 UTC 2010
fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

gang, I feel dumb having to ask this...

I've got a Centos 5.5 installation (it's not new, I've been using it for
over a year on this machine) and all of a sudden just a few minutes ago
everything on the gnome desktop disappeared. no icons, right-click doesn't
bring up a context menu. the panels are still there, though, thank goodness.

tried logging off and back on but that didn't help. I'm perusing the
centos forums for clues, and thought I should ask all of you too in
parallel.

Suggestions appreciated, thanks in advance!

Fred
    community.
 --Roger Ebert, December, 1996