[CentOS] RHEL 6 Officially Released

Thu Nov 11 15:30:32 UTC 2010

On 11/11/2010 09:23 AM, Morten P.D. Stevens wrote:
> 2010/11/11 Steve Thompson<smt at vgersoft.com>:
>

>> Having done several upgrades from CentOS 4 to CentOS 5, my recommendation
>> would be to not even try it. There is all kinds of ugliness left over that
>> has to be cleaned up; I did it in the end, but it took a lot longer than
>> doing a clean install.
>>
> That's the point.
>
> The cost to upgrade is probably higher than a clean installation.
>
> It has changed so much between RHEL5 and RHEL6.
>
> I recommend everyone a clean installation.

I think the only 'clean' upgrade I had was Centos 5.2 -> 5.3 and that
happened by accident!

I have always taken the path to rsync all valuable stuff over to another
box, do a clean install, then move stuff back.  I have a set of
instructions on 'customizing' for each of my systems to follow.

I just added a 1.5Tb USB drive on one system that I am now using for the
rsync destination.  I figure that when I need to update the system it is
normally on, I can move it to another system...