[CentOS] hwclock problem

Mon Nov 15 02:02:27 UTC 2010
Jorge Fábregas <jorge.fabregas at gmail.com>

On Thursday 11 November 2010 20:41:45 Jobst Schmalenbach wrote:
> Now I had to reboot a couple of them two days ago and to my surprise
> all had problems with the time upon booting.

Hi,

Are you 100% sure that your timezone file (/etc/localtime) corresponds to the
one Australia/Melbourne?  Try this:

diff /etc/localtime /usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Melbourne

Besides that, try to see if there's any script within /etc that tries to set
the TZ variable somewhere as it seems it is trying to set your system time to
flat UTC.

If I understand correctly, your hardware clock indeed is storing "localtime"
as seen on the output when you are booting... but as soon as ntpd kicks in, it
sets the system time to UTC (which is 11 hours behind your localtime). Right?

HTH,
Jorge