[CentOS] RPM/YUM on CentOS 5.4 issue - multiple versions of the same package installed

Mon Nov 15 16:14:09 UTC 2010
Todd Denniston <Todd.Denniston at tsb.cranrdte.navy.mil>

Gabriel Tabares wrote, On 11/15/2010 08:05 AM:
> On 11/11/2010 13:47, Gabriel Tabares wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We currently have an issue with multiple versions of a custom package
>> being installed. The RPM contains a liquibase script (a Java-based DB
>> change management tool) and a %post script to run liquibase.
>>
>> We are installing with scripts that run "yum update liquibase-script".
>>
>> If the %post script runs correctly, it returns 0 and the application
>> gets installed correctly but, if the %post script fails, it returns -1
>> and the application does get installed, but the old one does not get
>> unistalled, so if I run "rpm -qa | grep liquibase-script" I get a list
>> of all the versions that have been installed.
>>
>> I know that the files have been installed correctly, as the RPM contents
>> have the same name but different content and I have checked it.
>>
>> Why is this happening?
>>
>> I thought that %post scripts failing do not prevent the application to
>> installing and that RPM installation is atomic, so installing one
>> package will remove the previous verison. Is there any way to prevent
>> this issue?
>>
>> We're using CentOS 5.4 on x86_64
>>
> Any suggestion, guys?
>
> Thanks
>
> Gabriel

The fedora folks have a pretty thorough how to:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/CreatingPackageHowTo

And
man package-cleanup

Hope this helps.