[CentOS] Memtest86+ running time

Tue Nov 16 12:19:15 UTC 2010
Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net>

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010, John R Pierce wrote:

> From: John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Memtest86+ running time
>
> On 11/12/10 12:21 PM, Keith Roberts wrote:
>>  On Fri, 12 Nov 2010, John R Pierce wrote:
>> >  that sounds quite likely. some of those modules have two banks on the
>> >  single module, and I seriously doubt a system is going to like a single
>> >  bank and a dual bank module in a dual channel environment.
>> >
>> >  I got in the habit a long time ago of *always* using
>> >  matched memory modules.
>>  I've learnt my lesson now John.
>>
>>  Well at least I won't mix hi and lo density modules again.
>>
>>  Here's the link for my Asrock m/b:
>>
>>  http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=K7S8XE%20R3.0
>>
>>  It does not support dual channel memory.
>
> no, but look at these constraints on the memory vs cpu FSB speeds
> http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=K7S8XE
>
> *CPU* 	- Socket 462, supporting AMD Athlon, Athlon XP, Duron
> - FSB 400/333/266/200 MHz
> *Chipset* 	- SiS^® 748
> *Memory* 	- DDR non-ECC, un-buffered memory
> - DDR400, Max. capacity of system memory: 1GB (FSB 400/333 MHz)*
> - DDR333, Max. capacity of system memory: 2GB (FSB 400/333/266/200 MHz)
> - DDR266/200, Max. capacity of system memory: 3GB (FSB 333/266/200 MHz)
>
> *According to SiS^® official document, SiS^® 748 chipset has limitation DDR
> supports:
> CPU at FSB 200MHz mode, it will NOT support DDR400
> CPU at FSB 333MHz mode, it will NOT support DDR200
> CPU at FSB 400MHz mode, it will NOT support DDR200/DDR266
>

> I don't know which CPU you have, but, for instance, if its a 400Mhz CPU, you
> can't use 200/266 memory, and if you're not using 200/266 memory, you can't
> have 3 dimms at all.   Your PC2100 is 266Mhz memory.
>
> And let just toss out that I personally would scrap any motherboard
> containing SiS (or VIA) chipsets in a blink if it was giving me any trouble
> at all.

I wanted to install the maximum amount of memory, so I'm
using a 1.3GHz Athlon, with a 133 FSB speed IIRC.

I think the problem is mixing the Hi and Lo density modules.

I've run Memtest86+ for over 40 hours without errors, using
the 1GB & 512MB sticks together.

I'll probably put in the maximum amount of Lo density PC2100
memory, which is 3GB.

Also I'm in the process of moving all my websites onto some
cloud hosting that has 99.99% uptime.

Then I'll just use this machine for development, and ftp
things to the cloud host.

That way my websites will stay online if I get any more
problems with my home based server.

Apologies for my websites being down for so long.

And thanks for all the replies so far.

The ultimate boot cd has a bootable Linux on it with lots of
usefull diagnostic tools on it.

Regards,

Keith