[CentOS] Question about a hard drive error

Tue Nov 16 17:25:53 UTC 2010
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 11/16/10 8:31 AM, Benjamin Franz wrote:
> In these days of multi-terabyte drives you should be looking at RAID6
> instead. The chances of a 'double failure' during degraded
> operation/resync is too high to ignore.

These days of cheap drives, I use raid10 almost exclusively.  and if its
at all mission critical, I like to have 1-2 hotspares.   if I was
deploying a new server, and its workload was at all database-centric,
I'd want to use use 2.5" SAS rather than 3.5" SATA

With RAID10, the rebuild time is how long it takes to copy the one
drive.   if you have 6 drives in a raid10 and one fails, leaving 5, and
another fails, there's only a 1 in 5 chance of that other failure being
the mirror of the dead drive.       If you have a  hot spare, that
rebuild starts immediately, reducing the window for that dreaded double
failure to a minimum.