[CentOS] Memtest86+ running time

Tue Nov 16 18:42:19 UTC 2010
Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net>

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> From: m.roth at 5-cent.us
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Memtest86+ running time
>
> <snip>
>
> May I recommend looking at the docs that tell you what order the DIMMs
> need to be put into the board in? If you've got four slots, for example,
> I'll bet that it's 1 and 2, then 3 and 4, or maybe 1 and 3, then 2 and 4.
> I'd feel safe putting identical DIMMs in each pair, so that the first two
> are the bigger ones, and the second pair are smaller. A number of our
> servers *require* pairs, so if I start getting a lot of ECC errors, they
> send me a pair to replace them.
>
>          mark

Thanks for that Mark.

The board acually only has 3 DIMM slots. Each slot will take
1GB maximum of RAM.

I do understand what you are saying about matching DIMM's
in pairs on a 4 slot board.

Main reasons for choosing this board was:

a) price
b) 5 PCI slots - so plenty of room for adding other stuff.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

---
in practice they are not.