[CentOS] How to stop automount

Wed Nov 17 13:44:08 UTC 2010
Todd Denniston <Todd.Denniston at tsb.cranrdte.navy.mil>

Leonard den Ottolander wrote, On 11/17/2010 03:45 AM:
> Hello Dick,
>
> On Tue, 2010-11-16 at 22:52 -0500, Dick Roth wrote:
>> /dev/sdb             /usbdrive           ext3    user,noauto,rw  0 2
>
> The last entry is the fsck order used at boot. Setting it to 2 probably
> prompts the system to check it.
>
> Anyway, you shouldn't need to add explicit entries to fstab to mount usb
> drives. They should get auto mounted when you plug them in (I think the
> autofs and haldaemon services are required to run for this to happen).

haldaemon yes
autofs no

The auto-mounting of removable media on the local machine now happens as an interaction between hal
and your *windowing_environment*.

i.e. in with gnome I, as a normal user, have to go to
Start(chaos symbol) -> System -> Preferences -> Removable Drives and media
Which brings up a window titled "Removable Drives and Media Preferences"
and un-check the "Mount removable media when inserted" and the "Burn a CD or DVD when a blank disk
is inserted" so that I can work with rewritable CD/DVD media the way I want.

--
Todd Denniston