[CentOS] Fail Transfer of Large Files

Sat Nov 20 17:35:17 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 11/19/10 3:16 PM, Michael D. Berger wrote:
> On my intranet, I sometimes transfer large files, about 4G,
> to an CentOS old box that I use for a web server.  I transfer
> with ftp or sftp.  Usually, before the file is complete, the
> transfer "stalls".  At that point, ping from the destination box
> to the router fails.  I then deactivate the net interface on the
> destination box and then activate it.  Ping is then successful,
> and the transfer is completed.  The transferred file is correct,
> as verified with sha1sum.
>
> All connections are via cat6 wire.
>
> So what do you think?  Should I try changing the net card?
> Any tests to run? Any other suggestions?

I haven't seen anything like that, at least in many years so it probably is
hardware related - but make sure your software is up to date.  As a workaround,
you might try using rsync with the --bwlimit option to limit the speed of the
transfer - and the -P option so you can restart a failed transfer from the point
it stalled on the last attempt.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com