[CentOS] Router for SOHO network - hardware considerations

Mon Nov 22 08:55:14 UTC 2010
rainer at ultra-secure.de <rainer at ultra-secure.de>

> On 11/21/10 10:51 PM, Niki Kovacs wrote:
>> Is there anything you could especially recommend for this job? (I'm not
>> afraid of getting my hands dirty, BTW :oD)
>

> Alix2D2 or similar.
> http://www.pcengines.ch/alix2d2.htm
>
> they sell for about $80, add a flash card or small HD to hold your
> router software,
> they have little minicases to mount them,
> http://www.pcengines.ch/case1c1blku.htm
> http://www.yawarra.com.au/en-alix.php
>
> these run pfSense very nicely, which is a very nice turnkey router
> distribution.

Yes, ALIX+pfSense is highly recommended.
If ALIX is too slow (it should do between 50 and 70 MBit/s), consider Atom
D510 platform servers. They should run on ~50 Watt and easily saturate
100-200Mbit.
ALIX takes 5-10 Watt.