[CentOS] Word Perfect [Was: Novell sale news?]

Tue Nov 23 20:37:06 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 11/23/2010 2:12 PM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> Well, if you know what a "style" is you are closer to being a word
> processing "expert" than many - because what you describe is the proper
> way to use a Word Processor and has been since far back into the hey
> day of products like WP.
>
> It is always a bear to get users to use the Stylist (as OOo calls it,
> every word processor has an equivalent).  But once you get them around
> that corner most of the problems disappear and they'll never choose to go
> back to hacks like highlight-click-bold.  It is not more complicated, as
> they first always complain, its simpler and faster; and as the document
> grows *way* more managable - or, I take that back - it *is* manageble.

The problem is that the GUI's make the individual formatting too easy to
apply so people do it without thinking.  No one would consider of using
nroff/troff without a macro package and styles are pretty much the
equivalent mapping of the high level concepts into the low level grunge
that does the work.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com