[CentOS] Novell sale news?

Wed Nov 24 10:32:59 UTC 2010
Toralf Lund <toralf.lund at pgs.com>

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 11/22/10 10:28 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 22:09:59 -0600
>> Les Mikesell wrote:
>>

>>> I don't think they ever did a real native *nix verson - they had a slightly
>>> custom version of wine wrapped around the windows code.
>>>
>> Native WP for Unix existed back in the days of WP/DOS and the like.
>>
>> WP ran on a huge number of platforms.  I still have WP 4.1 for Amiga laying
>> around here somewhere.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WordPerfect
>>
>> "While available in DOS and Microsoft Windows versions, its popularity was based
>> in part on the fact that it was available for a wide variety of computers and
>> operating systems, including Mac OS, Linux, the Apple IIe, a separate version
>> for the Apple IIgs, most popular versions of Unix, VMS, Data General,
>> System/370, AmigaOS, Atari ST, OS/2, and NeXTSTEP."
>>

> That's going back to the character-mode days.  I meant the GUI version.

I used an X11 version on some Unix variant a long time ago - possibly
IRIX, but it may have been the DEC one (or both.) This was several years
before they released the WINE based thing you are talking about, which I
believe was Linux only. In fact, I think there was a Linux version of
the "native" X11 port, too - then they replaced it with the wine variant
to avoid maintaining so many different branches of the code, or
something. (BAAAD decision...)

- Toralf

This e-mail, including any attachments and response string, may contain proprietary information which is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachment immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, forward, copy, print or rely on this e-mail in any way except as permitted by the author.