[CentOS] CentOS vs. RHEL vs. Oracle Linux ?

Wed Nov 24 11:57:16 UTC 2010
Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com>

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 09:50:07AM +0100, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What differences can I expect between a server running Oracle Linux and
> my average server running CentOS ? As far as I can guess, their
> "unbreakable" Linux kernel will still be some package called 'kernel'
> (with the according 'kernel-devel' and 'kernel-headers' packages).
> Probably Yum will be used as a dependency resolver (will it?), only with
> different repositories. And for the rest, I except it to work the same,
> in that I can still use chkconfig, ntsysv, rpm, etc. (what about
> system-config-securitylevel-tui or similar tools?)

Well, it's pretty similar.  I'm not sure if I messed up the installation
or not, but I had to later download reops--it has yum, chkconfig,
service and so on.

I didn't find a samba package, but as this was for one oracle developer
to transfer files, we just used winscp.  (I also didn't look hard for a
samba package, at present, this is just a test.)

Disk naming seems slightly different--we went with more standard
partitions rather than LVM, and rather than /dev/sda and so on, it was
/dev---arrgh, I'm not at work, and my mind just went blank--errm, xda
and xdb?  At any rate, it will be fairly obvious.

As mentioned, this is a test, and while I don't know all the
circumstances, we're not entitled to support--if you do it officially,
as opposed to what is probably a trial version, there is support, and I
assume (but note, that's an assumption, not knowledge), one could call
and ask things like, Where can I find samba?

(Samba client and samba common was available, but no smbd.  Again, I did
NO googling on this, just did yum provides */smbd, got no results, and
then used WinSCP.)

There won't be any major shocks.  On the other hand, in our case,
there's nothing at all tricky for my part of it--I just had to get a
basic server running for the oracle developers to use.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6