[CentOS] CentOS vs. RHEL vs. Oracle Linux ?

Wed Nov 24 14:43:05 UTC 2010
Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net>

Hakan Koseoglu a écrit :
> On 24 November 2010 11:57, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>> Well, it's pretty similar.  I'm not sure if I messed up the installation
> It's almost identical. Oracle kernel parameters & dependencies can be
> automatically installed during installation albeit later on Oracle
> RDBMS installation gives you warnings since it doesn't like the
> default values in /etc/sysctl.conf as populated by OEL.

Thanks for the detailed answers. I'm currently downloading the set of
five CDs. I already got the first ISO (my connection is slow), burnt it
and installed it on a spare machine. The installer looks indeed quite
the same as RHEL/CentOS (and makes you even wonder if they changed
something besides the name :oD). Since I have to wait for the other ISOs
to download, I went for a minimal install, e. g. everything unchecked,
even [Base]. Unfortunately, contrary to CentOS, this way of doing things
doesn't get me Yum, and a manual install of Yum apparently requires some
packages that are not on the first CD. So I'll simply wait for the other
ISOs to download and go for something less minimal.

I'm especially curious to know about the default Yum repos config :
where does Oracle Linux have its repos and its updates ? Do I have to
subscribe to something to get them or are they free ? Well, I guess I'll
have to wait for my download to finish to get the answer.

Cheers,

Niki