[CentOS] program in centos rpm

Wed Nov 24 16:09:51 UTC 2010
Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net>

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 08:01:45 -0800 (PST)
ann kok wrote:

> 1/ How can I get this program install if yum won't find it?

Generally speaking it's best to stick with rpm installs on a Centos system but
if something consists of, for example, one single executable file, then you can
just copy that anywhere that's convenient and run it from there.  (Put it
in /usr/local/bin if you want multiple users to have access to it, put it into
~/bin if you just want to use it yourself.  That way it's on your default path.)

> 2/ Can I use fedora12 fping rpm to install on it?

Some Fedora srpms can be recompiled for Centos.  Sometimes it's a simple matter
of "rpmbuild --rebuild whatever.srpm", sometimes you have to edit the .spec
file to make it work.  And sometimes it doesn't work at all, depending on other
factors like dependencies.