[CentOS] How to install PHP PEAR stuff best?

Fri Nov 26 15:23:47 UTC 2010
Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org>

> Hello,
>
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>
> wrote:
>> I don't quite understand your whole question. What has this to do with
>> PEAR? It's not a PEAR package, it's a library that's hosted on
>> code.google.com.
>
> yes, but it has the subdir called "PEAR" in it...
>
> If someone would ask:
> "how to install a Perl module which is not available as an rpm for
> CentOS?"
> Then I would answer:
> "run perl -MCPAN -e shell and then search module, install module in there"

The analogon would be "pear install <packagename>"; see

http://pear.php.net/manual/de/faq.users.php

But it is discouraged to do so and for the Perl CPAN install way
documented and explained why not to run through this.

If you really can't get the Pear package you need from CentOS or any 3rd
party repository, use your testing and development system to create an RPM
your own, using the .spec from a different Pear RPM. You will certainly
benefit from this approach in the long run to administrate your systems in
the light of security and maintainability.

> So I've asked here in the hope that someone administering CentOS
> with many PHP libraries would share his/her tricks in doing so.
>
> I'm sorry that it is drifting towards offtopic, I was hoping for a
> short hint here
>
> Regards
> Alex

Alexander