[CentOS] simple website hit counter

Sat Nov 27 16:44:58 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 11/27/10 9:45 AM, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 15:45:47 -0800
> Dave Stevens wrote:
>
>> wouldn't webalyzer do that for you?
>
> Webalyzer would create a report containing a lot of data that I don't need.
> All I want is a single number.

I've always liked analog as web log analyzer.  It's fast and you can make it
generate as much or as little as you want - but it would normally be a
once-a-day run, not a live update.

> The perl script that Tommy Craddock found looks like it's just the thing.  I'll
> set it up over the course of this next week and see what develops.

That may work for a small site.  I wouldn't expect anything that locks a single
file for updates on every hit to scale well.  And it means you need to have
somewhere that is writable by the web server which is not a great idea if you
can avoid it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com