[CentOS] SELinux - way of the future or good idea but !!!

Sat Nov 27 18:57:50 UTC 2010
Benjamin Franz <jfranz at freerun.com>

On 11/26/2010 05:17 PM, Patrick Lists wrote:

> What's with people recommending to turn off SELinux?! That's just bad
> advice and like recommending people keep their doors unlocked at all
> times. Really, stop doing that. SELinux is there for a reason.

SELinux is like a automatic collision avoidance system for an airplane
that unpredictably crashes the plane during normal flight. While the
basic idea is good, until it stops crashing planes without warning it
isn't going to be accepted.

It is not enough that it mitigates certain classes of attacks when it
actively breaks running systems *more often* than it mitigates attacks.
And that is my personal experience. Every year or two I try turning it
on on a few systems. And then, after it suddenly decides to break a
previously stable system - it gets turned back off.

--
Benjamin Franz