[CentOS] ssh-agent fails to hold values

Tue Nov 30 12:58:34 UTC 2010
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 5:19 AM, John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com> wrote:
> From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>
>
>> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 6:41 AM, John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > From:  bluethundr <bluethundr at gmail.com>
>> > I have this in my .bash_profile:
>> >   AGENTRUNNING=`ps x | grep agent | grep -v grep`
>> >  if [ -z  "$AGENTRUNNING" ]; then
>> >    /usr/bin/ssh-agent -s >  $HOME/.ssh/agent-env.sh
>> >  fi
>> >  . $HOME/.ssh/agent-env.sh >  /dev/null
>> > Then, I ssh-add once and that's it.
>> And if you  log in on another machine with that same home directory on
>> NFS, you'll load  information for the wrong host's ssh-agent keys.
>> Install and use  "keychain". It's leaps and bounds more reliable than  this.
>
> No NFS home directories... so no problems.
> What reliability problems are you refering to?
> So far, it just worked fine...

The NFS home directory is the big one. Another other is that, if
something sets "AGENTRUNNING", in another script and you inherit it,
it's not reset.  And since it's in a .bashrc, once it's set, you'll
inherit for other scripts: if it dies, you won't get a new one due to
the inherited AGENTRUNNING.  And what if the user has "agent" in their
login name?

If it works in your small environment, fine, but I wouldn't publish it
for general use without more thought. The "keychain" perl script is
actually pretty good.