[CentOS] CF disks images and centos

Tue Nov 30 18:26:04 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 11/30/2010 12:10 PM, Brunner, Brian T. wrote:

>>> The size has changed. The original CF card was 7637M (255 heads/63
>>> sectors/928 cylinders)
>>> The new CF card is 8019M (255 heads/63 sectors/974 cylinders)
>>>
>>> I simply do "dd if=cf.img of=/dev/sde" to copy the images to CF.
>>
>> ARG!!! Don't do this!  You really, really don't want to dd a
>> raw disk image (including mbr/partition table) to a
>> *different* geometry disk -- it does not matter what the
>> 'disk' tech is (IDE. SCSI, SATA, SSD, etc.).
>
> Even if the two disks have the same manufacturer and manufacturer part
> number, different firmware revisions can fail to boot after
>
> dd if=/dev/spinpoint.partnumber.fwrev1
> of=/dev/spinpoint.partnumber.fwrev2
>
> Been there, done that, got bit where the sun doesn't shine.
>
>> Partition the new disk with fdisk (or something like that),
>> then use mkfs to make the file systems than use dump/restore
>> to move the file systems.  Finally use grub-install (or lilo)
>> to install the boot loader.
>
> +1
> sfdisk -d /dev/olddisk>  /product/partition.layout
> dump (whatever)
>
> ...years later...
>
> sfdisk /dev/newdisk<  /product/partition.layout
> restore (whatever)
> grub-install (magic tbd)
> # SHIP IT

I'm not positive, but I'd expect clonezilla to get this right - and
probably be able to expand the partition after the copy for you.  Plus
it will save time compared to dd by not needing to copy unused disk
blocks and it can save a compressed image on a file server for repeated
cloning.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesesll at gmail.com