[CentOS] CF disks images and centos

Tue Nov 30 20:48:37 UTC 2010
Brunner, Brian T. <BBrunner at gai-tronics.com>

> On Tuesday, November 30, 2010 01:10:14 pm Brunner, Brian T. wrote:
> > Even if the two disks have the same manufacturer and
> > manufacturer part number, different firmware revisions can fail to
boot after
> > dd if=/dev/spinpoint.partnumber.fwrev1
of=/dev/spinpoint.partnumber.fwrev2

> > Been there, done that, got bit where the sun doesn't shine.
>
> Care to share specifics?  This would be interesting information.

1: a few years back
2: we qualified Hitachi TravelStar lap-top drives (IIRC 20GB) and
3: tried to do our old method of copying a master to the multiple
"programmed parts" using a disk duplicator machine (CDC Disk Duplicator,
Pro Model) and found that
4: differing FW versions were incompatible (non-bootable), but the file
system looked identical/perfect if the drives were mounted on a system
that booted elsewhere (eg linux rescue).

We found out the two groups of drives had 1 of 2 different FW versions.

dd if=/dev/spinpoint.partnumber.fwrev1
of=/dev/spinpoint.partnumber.fwrev1 booted,
dd if=/dev/spinpoint.partnumber.fwrev2
of=/dev/spinpoint.partnumber.fwrev2 booted;
dd of fw1 to fw2, or of fw2 to fw1, did not boot.

We since shifted to another drive brand and size; IIRC the old one is no
longer in production; www.pricewatch.com does not list the drive as I
recall it.  If closer details are /needed/ by anybody, I can go bother
the techs to look them up.