[CentOS] how many people still use NIS?

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Fri Oct 1 19:57:04 UTC 2010

Hi there --

We use NIS on our site which is a mixture of HP-UX and Linux systems.

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of
Ben McGinnes
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2010 2:50 PM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] how many people still use NIS?

On 2/10/10 4:27 AM, Boris Epstein wrote:
> Hello listmates,
>
> I have discovered a very strange SFTP problem which I can not connect to
> anything but NIS thus far. See here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-server-73/sftp-seems-to-fail-for-n
is-accounts-under-openssh-5-x-816020/

> http://readlist.com/lists/suse.com/suse-linux-e/38/193419.html
>
> Hence the question: is NIS (YP) still in use much anywhere for
> authentication?

Solaris still favours it, but mainly because Sun invented it.  Most of
the rest of us don't bother.  I certainly haven't seen it anywhere
except exclusively SunOS/Solaris based networks for ages.

Regards,
Ben

dispose of the e-mail.