[CentOS] kernel.org kernel in CentOS respin.

Steve Clark

sclark at netwolves.com
Mon Oct 4 17:54:30 UTC 2010

Hello List,

I found these wonderful instruction by Alan Bartlett (thanks Alan) for
building a kernel.org kernel
that would install on CentOS 5.5. Doing this and moving the resulting .rpm
to the target system and doing a rpm -ivh ... works great.

Now I am trying to use the same rpm as part of a CentOS respin and
the installation fails miserably leaving me with a unbootable system.

Using the rescue option I see the following in my install log.

Installing kernel-2.6.32.23-1.i386
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.24949: line 1: uname: command not found
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.24949: line 1: uname: command not found
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.24949: line 1: [: too many arguments
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.24949: line 6: /sbin/new-kernel-pkg: No such file or
directory
error: %post(kernel-2.6.32.23-1.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 127

Does someone have instructions for building a kernel.org kernel that
will install like the standard CentOS kernels?

Thanks,

--
Stephen Clark
NetWolves