[CentOS] EXT4 mount issue

Steve Brooks

steveb at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
Mon Oct 4 19:07:17 UTC 2010

Hi All,

When a couple of EXT4 filesystems are mounted in a server I get the
message

Oct  1 18:49:42 sraid3 kernel: EXT4-fs (sdb): mounted filesystem without journal
Oct  1 18:49:42 sraid3 kernel: EXT4-fs (sdc): mounted filesystem without journal

in the system logs.

My confusion is why are they mounted without a journal?  They were both
created with

mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sdb
mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sdc

and mounted in  "/etc/fstab" with

/dev/sdb  /sraid3  ext4    defaults       1 2
/dev/sdc  /sraid4  ext4    defaults       1 2

both are 11T and so I would prefer as much stability as possible, io
performance is not an issue on either device just integrity so I thought
the journal would be default and necessary.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Steve

--
Dr Stephen Brooks