[CentOS] iptables failure at the last line

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr
Tue Oct 5 09:01:42 UTC 2010

Alexander Farber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> can anybody please spot an error here?
>
> # sudo service iptables start
> Flushing firewall rules:                                   [  OK  ]
> Setting chains to policy ACCEPT: filter                    [  OK  ]
> Unloading iptables modules:                                [  OK  ]
> Applying iptables firewall rules: iptables-restore: line 20 failed
>                                                             [FAILED]
>
> And my /etc/sysconfig/iptables is (I'm trying to enable
> Samba, Apache, FMS dev. ed. and throttled SSH at 22 and 443):

<snip>
> Any hints on how to debug those issues?

the same way you debug stuff when you can't see the problem by just
staring at it: reduce it to a minimal error-case. So, remove some of
those /etc/sysconfig/iptables lines until it no longer fails, and
identify the exact line that causes the failure. Then stare at that one
line and understand why it's failing.