[CentOS] OT: linux desktop market share more than 1%

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Oct 8 12:14:06 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 10:33 -0700, Bill Campbell wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 07, 2010, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> >Benjamin Franz wrote:
> >'98. But it's starting to have a visible presence, thanks to Vista.
> >       mark "both hands on the gun, point at foot, fire!"
> On the other hand, when I've attended events for developers such as a Plone
> bootcamp and Python day at the University of Washington, at least 75% of
> the laptops were Macbook [Pros].
> I have gone from OpenDesktop on SCO in the early '90s to Linux from 1996 or
> so to OS X shortly after it came out.  The vast majority of my development
> is on Linux servers, but OS X Just Works(tm), and I don't have to be
> constantly fiddling to get tools working.

I here that occasionally;  since you switched to OS X "shortly after it
came out", which is like 5 years ago now, your experience with desktop
LINUX is not current.  It is far and away more user-friendly than it was
five years ago.  I'd say it has been about three years since I've had to
fiddle to get tools working.  Everything works.

I *use* LINUX on my HP Pavilion dv7 (HP DV-3085DX) all day five to six
days a week.  It is production and rock-solid.  In installed openSUSE
11.2 w/GNOME and *all* the hardware *just worked*.  All the applications
*just worked*.

OpenOffice, Evolution, Nautilus, Tomboy, Banshee, Monodevelop,
File-Roller, F-Spot, and Firefox is a killer suite of top-notch
applications.
--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org>