[CentOS] OT: linux desktop market share more than 1%

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat Oct 9 00:32:59 UTC 2010

> Too long, don't read.  It's mostly YMMV (religious) anyways.
>
> > The main thing about Linux that is 'hard' is the fact that
> > you have to use your brain and make choices:
> > Which web browser?
>
> We have this same question under Windows.  My answer is "all of them,
> why not?"

Most MS-Windows users don't actually ask this question, they just use
the one 'built in': IE.

> Some of the web sites I have need to visit only work on Internet
> Exploder (ms update), some only work on FireFox (my favorite game site),
> many are only tolerable in Opera because of *their* addiction to flash
> hits *my* allergy to flash.  Opera's content blocking is a God-Send.
>
> > Which office suite?
>
> Unfortunately all of them fail at full compatibility with MSWorks;
> that's the Gold Standard.
>
> > Which email client?
>
> This is not trivial.  Content compatibility with Office and other "of
> course you want embedded content in email" senders is a field of study
> in itself. My email client (Forte Agent) is horrible at handling
> embedded content.  I'm also almost never bothered by trojans such as
> have clobbered my kids' and wife's systems (1 in 10 years, and that was
> when my son 'borrowed' my system).

I have *never* use an HTML capable E-Mail client...  'nuff said.

> > Which desktop?
>
> Which one is most like WinXP?  This is the question that keeps Linux off
> of desktops.
> Retraining people to a different way to drive is non-trivial also.
>
> > Which Linux distro?
>
> Why is there more than one?

Why is there more than one make/model of car?  Why is there more than
one style of shirt, pants, shoe?  Why is there more than one genre of
music? Why is there more than one style of house? Why is there more then
one team sport?