[CentOS] One server not showing SSH port, the other is.

Ryan Manikowski jeenam at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 23:49:17 UTC 2010

 On 10/11/2010 7:44 PM, Joseph L. Casale wrote:

>> Specifically, how can I hide the port that SSH is running on?
>> I'm sorry that I cannot provide the IP addresses, the owner of the servers doesn't want that! I also know how silly it is to do "stealth"
>> ports but I'm not the one making the decision!

One method to obscure the presence of the ssh daemon would be to use
port knocking:

http://dotancohen.com/howto/portknocking.html

Honestly (and this is mere opinion), the other person (who wants to hide
ssh-the owner) is being paranoid. Use strong passwords, run ssh on an
alternate port, don't expose unneeded services to the outside world, and
install something like fail2ban to block ssh attackers.

If they need higher security then set up openvpn.

--
	 Ryan Manikowski

 ryan at devision.us | 716.771.2282