[CentOS] SOLVED -

Ken Dechick

kend at medent.com
Wed Oct 13 14:53:30 UTC 2010

Hi Akemi,
 Thanks for the reply.

>Do you mean no src.rpm of your custom kernel? If so, rpmbuild -bs will build >it.

The only source rpm I can find is from the CentOS Extras. FIlename makes it
appear that you need the 2.6.18-8.1.8 kernel from CentOS Extras:
	kvm-kmod-36-1.2.6.18_8.1.8.el5.src.rpm

If I try to rebuild that with:
rpmbuild --rebuild --target=x86_64 kvm-kmod-36-1.2.6.18_8.1.8.el5.src.rpm

I get error that I need the 2.6.18-8 kernel-devel package, if I install that
it will build but it results in a kernel module built for the 2.6.18-8 series
but I need for my 2.6.18-194 series.

So on your advice I jumped into my SPECS dir and tried:
rpmbuild -bs --target=x86_64  kvm-kmod.spec

and it gave me:
Wrote: ~/kend/rpmbuild/SRPMS/kvm-kmod-36-1.2.6.18_194.11.4.el5.1.x64.src.rpm

I guess it all comes down to experience. Being not to familiar with rpmbuild I
did not know you could do that. Thanks for the tip!

>kmod-kvm is built from kvm and it is kernel version independent,
>kABI-tracking.  This means that, if your custom kernel is kABI
>compatible with the distro kernel, the kvm module will continue to
>work.

I wish that was better documented. So as long as I have kABI checking enabled
when I build my custom I should be golden? I apparently did not fully
understand kABI either than. I did have some trouble with kABI at first and
disabling it solved the issue, not sure if it's still disabled, but I will
check. Thanks for the info!

I wont call this thread solved until I get the chance to try these two options
out and see where I get. Sounds like sticking with using kABI is my best bet
either way if case I run into this again in the future with other things.
Getting into the visualization world for the first time so I have a learning
curve to clime here. Thank you for the tips, I will do some testing then post
the results.

-KenD

Kenneth M DeChick
Linux Systems Administrator
Community Computer Service, Inc.
http://www.medent.com
kend at medent.com
Registered Linux User #497318
Schshschshchsch.-- The Gorn, "Arena", stardate 3046.2

.

This message and any attachments may contain information that is protected by law as privileged and confidential, and
is transmitted for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any use, dissemination, copying or retention of this e-mail or the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
If you received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail, and permanently delete this e-mail.