[CentOS] sendmail substitute?

Giles Coochey giles at coochey.net
Thu Oct 14 07:28:24 UTC 2010

  On 14/10/2010 09:11, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> i'm following online guides to secure my centos 5.4
>> it's advised to turn off sendmail service among others.
>> but how can i forward my /var/log/mail to my webmail ?
> To update to CentOS 5.5 with current updates (especially the kernel!)
> would improve security much more than deactivating Sendmail. That said you
> are not bound to 5.4 by any specific usecase.

Agree with above.
>> any help would be greatly appreciated..
> What is the rationale behind deactivating Sendmail. Just curious. Or is it
> the typical rant "Sendmail is insecure, see its history"?

If he just wants to send emails generated by internal programs on his
system and doesn't need a full blown MTA then something smaller with
SMTP capability would be a more fitting choice.
I run sendmail myself, but then run a full blown mail system, want spam
/ anti-vrus checking and so on, but for ordinary systems
(non-mailservers) something simpler with a smaller footprint and
capability is probably better, not just from a security point of view.
I commend anyone who choses not to run a full-blown MTA if they are
technically uncertain about the security implications.