[CentOS] network interface question

Giles Coochey giles at coochey.net
Fri Oct 15 08:48:23 UTC 2010

  On 15/10/2010 10:36, John Doe wrote:
> From: Paras pradhan<pradhanparas at gmail.com>
>
>> I have eight nics and its getting difficult to me which MAC  id
>> represents which physical port. Any way to find  this?
> Unless you are 100% sure the nics detection follow a sequential order that
> matches the nics physical ports order, I think you will have to test them one at
> a time...
>
> JD

Not sure whether this is true for all operating systems, but in many
systems I have come across the following ordering convention:

* Onboard NIC's get listed first, e.g. eth0, eth1.
* First PCI bus gets listsed next, starting at slot 1... e.g. eth1, eth2
* If there are multiple interfaces per card then they are ordered in
increasing MAC address value.