[CentOS] network interface question

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Fri Oct 15 17:10:34 UTC 2010

 On 10/15/2010 12:44 PM, Paras pradhan wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 3:57 AM, Peter Kjellstrom <cap at nsc.liu.se> wrote:
>> On Thursday 14 October 2010, Paras pradhan wrote:
>>> I have eight nics and its getting difficult to me which MAC id
>>> represents which physical port. Any way to find this?
>> Have a look at the "-p" option to ethtool
> It would be useful (to me)  if I can use mac address instead of
> interface name in -p option.

Try this script (untested):

#!/bin/bash
ETH=`ifconfig | grep -i $1 | cut -d ' ' -f 1`
echo "Blinking $ETH - $1"
ethtool -p $ETH 30

Just call it with the mac address as an argument.  It will find the
interface with ifconfig and then call ethtool to blink the lights for 30
seconds.

(Assuming your NIC supports ethtool.  The system I tried to test this on
was not supported...)

--
Bowie