[CentOS] Not receiving mail

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Tue Oct 19 19:58:14 UTC 2010

On 20/10/10 5:42 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Ian Murray wrote:
>>

>>> No the example above  shows a telnet to port 25 connecting - which I can
>>> reproduce too - but there  is no 220 response as there should be from a
>>
>> I am late to the thread (and I haven't a clue what we are talking about in
>> fact), but I get a 220 when I telnet into that IP address...
>>
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>> 220 mercury.localdomain ESMTP Postfix
>
> Odd. Why would it say localdomain?

He probably has an incorrect myhostname or mydomain value in main.cf.
From the look of the postconf -n he posted, he hasn't specified either
of these.

From the relevant section in Dotan's postconf -n:

The equivalent section in mine (sanitised because copying & pasting is
not the solution):

mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, $mydomain
mydomain = example.com
myhostname = mail.example.com
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8, 192.168.1.0/24
myorigin = $mydomain

Regards,
Ben