[CentOS] pdflush kernel thread pops up every 10 seconds or so and video decoding grinds to a halt for 1/2 a second

Aleksey Tsalolikhin atsaloli.tech at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 23:34:34 UTC 2010

Still seeing the glitch every 5-20 secs after remounting with "commit=6000".

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com> wrote:

> You could also reduce the dirty interval in sysctl so it flushes sooner therefore flushes less data each time.

OK.  It's worth a shot.  Any idea what the default value is?  I'm not
sure what value to put in here.
I know I want to reduce it but I don't want to break my friend's system either.

http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/sysctl/vm.txt

109	dirty_expire_centisecs
110
111	This tunable is used to define when dirty data is old enough to be eligible
112	for writeout by the pdflush daemons.  It is expressed in 100'ths
of a second.
113	Data which has been dirty in-memory for longer than this interval will be
114	written out next time a pdflush daemon wakes up.

Thanks,
-at