[CentOS] pdflush kernel thread pops up every 10 seconds or so and video decoding grinds to a halt for 1/2 a second

Aleksey Tsalolikhin atsaloli.tech at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 19:34:34 EDT 2010

Still seeing the glitch every 5-20 secs after remounting with "commit=6000".

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com> wrote:
> You could also reduce the dirty interval in sysctl so it flushes sooner therefore flushes less data each time.

OK.  It's worth a shot.  Any idea what the default value is?  I'm not
sure what value to put in here.
I know I want to reduce it but I don't want to break my friend's system either.

109	dirty_expire_centisecs
111	This tunable is used to define when dirty data is old enough to be eligible
112	for writeout by the pdflush daemons.  It is expressed in 100'ths
of a second.
113	Data which has been dirty in-memory for longer than this interval will be
114	written out next time a pdflush daemon wakes up.