[CentOS] Getting Wake on lan to work

Peter Crighton centos at crighton.me.uk
Wed Oct 20 17:53:06 UTC 2010

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 16:25:26 -0700, you wrote:

>on 10-6-2010 2:27 PM Robert Heller spake the following:
>>

>>> My system is:
>>> Intel CC820 motherboard (which supports PME# wake up for wake on LAN)
>>> 3com 3C905C which also supports wake on LAN via PME#
>>> Linux 5.5
>>>
>>> The motherboard BIOS is later than one that reports an issue with WOL
>>> and this particular network card was fixed.
>>>

>If the card goes dark when the system is off but still plugged in, the card
>does not get its power and signal from the pci bus and will need the header
>cable plugged in. There is no other way... The card HAS to be powered from
>somewhere at all times so it can activate the system.

I have now purchased a WOL cable but that has not helped.

There are no options in the BIOS for WOL and I have updated to the
latest.

I have found this page http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=951563
which refers to using pci-config to force the bus power to be left on
for the card prior to shutting down. Could this be the problem and if
so where do I get pci-config (or the equivalent) for Centos as I can't
identify a package to install that.