[CentOS] [SOLVED] more software raid questions

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Oct 23 21:34:26 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 11:03:27AM -0700, Nataraj wrote:
> fred smith wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the additional information.
> >
> > I'll try backing up everything this weekend then will take a stab at it.
> >
> > someone said earlier that the differing raid superblocks were probably
> > the cause of the misassignment in the first place. but I have no clue
> > how the superblocks could have become messed up, can any of you comment
> > on that? willl I need to hack at that issue, too, before I can succeed?
> >
> > thanks again!
> >

> >> Nataraj
> >>
> I would first try adding the drives back in with:
>
> mdadm /dev/mdN -a /dev/sdXn
>
> Again, this is after having stopped the bogus md arrays.

Nataraj, that worked fine, didn't need to --force it. Now I'm back to
having two devices in md0 and two in md1, and they're the RIGHT two! :)
Put the box in single-user mode to do the work, then after the array
finished resyncing, rebooted and it came up with the right two md devices.

I appreciate your tutoring me on this, you've been most helpful.

Thanks a bunch!

Oh, can you refer me to any good documentation on how to admin a
software raid system? One aimed for people, like me, who are
computer literate, but have never trained as a sysadmin, and who
don't know much about RAID...

thanks again!

Fred