[CentOS] recommended way to install source rpms?

Sun Oct 10 21:56:47 UTC 2010
Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>

  yes, i've read the online docs and followed a link or two to find a
simple way to do this, such as:

http://sourceware.org/systemtap/wiki/SystemTapOnCentOS

so, these days, is that the canonical way to download source rpms?
now, note that i'm not arguing about whether this is a good idea.  in
my circumstances, i want the ability to just "yum download" source
rpms so that i can have my students poke around in a source rpm and
learn how to build one, nothing more.

  so, is that reasonable?  to just manually add an extra repo file
according to that link above (which appears to work perfectly well).
frankly, the wiki page on downloading from source:

http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/SourceInstalls

seems just a touch on the hysterical side.  i don't disagree that
installing packages from the source rpm is probably a questionable
idea.  but that doesn't justify simply not explaining how to do it
easily.

  my plan is to install yum-utils to get yumdownloader, add the repo
file suggested above, then have students:

  $ yumdownloader --source <package>

so they can examine the source of some packages.  is the approach i'm
suggesting reasonable?  thanks.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca