[CentOS] Adding SAMBA users in Centos 5.5

Fri Oct 22 08:11:59 UTC 2010
Peter Crighton <centos at crighton.me.uk>

I have SAMBA working on Centos 5.5 - I can see and access my "home"
directory from a Windows machine.

I have created a new folder to share, changed the owner and group to
my username and chcon -t samba_share_t to allow SELinux to share the
folder. I can see this folder from Windows but not access it's
contents.

I think that the key reason is that there is no user assigned to the
new share that I have created in SAMBA.

I don't seem to be able add users/passwords (at least they don't stay
present! In the SAMBA section of Control Panel I have selected my
username from the Unix users and added it to SAMBA users with the same
password as the Windows machine (and as it happens the Centos
machine). Click Apply and OK. When I re-load the SAMBA section of
Control Panel my user has disappeared!

This didn't happen when I setup a Centos 4.4 machine - all the users
are still visible in Control Panel.

Without the user available I can't assign it to my new share. Why is
my added user disappearing and how can I solve it?

(I presume that I can access my "home" share as it is automatically by
the username from Windows).