[CentOS] how many people still use NIS?

Fri Oct 1 21:15:36 UTC 2010

Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 16:46 -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>
>> *shrug* I've never used it. Trust me, openLDAP is a royal PITA, but with
>> AD as an alternative....
> ----
> well AD *is* LDAP but it has many other services/requirements beyond
> LDAP.
>
> As for OpenLDAP being a royal PITA, I suppose that's a matter of
> perspective because I've been using it for at least 7 years now and it
> works for me without any problems whatsoever. The only griping I hear is
> from people who expect to use it without actually taking the time to
> learn how it works.

In later '06, I set it up, with nobody I worked with knowing anything
about how to do it. The "tools" suck dead roaches, the error messages are
lousy, and its error handling leases much to be desired, like, um, error
handling. The documentation was mostly out of date, and written worse than
old mainframe documentation (which I have, indeed, used).

Once its working, it's ok, but doing *anything* to it is a royal pain. I'm
glad you have no trouble; I, and most folks I've spoken with about it,
think the way I do.

        mark