[CentOS] how many people still use NIS?

Sat Oct 2 01:31:12 UTC 2010
Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com>

On Oct 1, 2010, at 2:27 PM, Boris Epstein <borepstein at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello listmates,
>
> I have discovered a very strange SFTP problem which I can not connect to anything but NIS thus far. See here:
>
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-server-73/sftp-seems-to-fail-for-nis-accounts-under-openssh-5-x-816020/
>
> http://readlist.com/lists/suse.com/suse-linux-e/38/193419.html
>
> Hence the question: is NIS (YP) still in use much anywhere for authentication?

I have setup NIS where a winbind box builds NIS maps of Windows users without passwords of course and then the NIS clients use those maps coupled with Kerberos for authentication which worked well.

If the winbind service crashed or locked up there were still the maps to use until it was fixed, so better uptime then winbind alone.

Even without AD one could setup a Kerberos server and NIS database a lot easier then LDAP.

-Ross