[CentOS] No Chinese character set in Firefox

Sun Oct 3 20:09:21 UTC 2010
Robert <kerplop at sbcglobal.net>

On 10/03/2010 01:53 PM, Keith Roberts informed us:
> On Sun, 3 Oct 2010, Frank Cox wrote:

>> From: Frank Cox<theatre at sasktel.net>
>> Subject: Re: [CentOS] No Chinese character set in Firefox
>>

>> On Sun, 2010-10-03 at 18:28 +0100, Keith Roberts wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running Centos 5.5 and have recently lost my chines
>>> characters in Firefox.
>>>
>>> Just get a lot of wierd looking boxex now, look like
>>> dominos.
>>>
>> Firefox used to come with a bazillion language packs included in the
>> firefox rpm.
>>
>> Now those language packs are not included any more.
>>
>> You can download them from the mozilla website if you need them.
>>
> I've visited the Mozilla site, but cannot find the Chinese
> language pack to install it :(
>
> Regards,
>
> Keith

I just now entered the command:

        # yum install "@Chinese Support"

and was greeted with this list of crap:

    Dependencies Resolved

    =================================================================================================================
      Package                                 Arch
    Version                        Repository         Size
    =================================================================================================================
    Installing:
      Deployment_Guide-zh-CN                  noarch
    5.2-11.el5.centos              base              2.2 M
      Deployment_Guide-zh-TW                  noarch
    5.2-11.el5.centos              base              2.9 M
      fonts-chinese                           noarch
    3.02-12.el5                    base               24 M
      kde-i18n-Chinese                        noarch
    1:3.5.4-1                      base              2.1 M
      kde-i18n-Chinese-Big5                   noarch
    1:3.5.4-1                      base              2.2 M
      lv                                      i386
    4.51-8.1                       base              423 k
      openoffice.org-langpack-zh_CN           i386
    1:3.1.1-19.5.el5_5.1           updates            15 M
      openoffice.org-langpack-zh_TW           i386
    1:3.1.1-19.5.el5_5.1           updates            16 M
      scim-bridge-gtk                         i386
    0.4.5-9.el5                    base               37 k
      scim-chewing                            i386
    0.3.1-11.el5                   base               62 k
      scim-chinese-standard                   i386
    0.0.2-1.el5                    base               87 k
      scim-pinyin                             i386
    0.5.91-16.el5                  base              2.3 M
      scim-qtimm                              i386
    0.9.4-5                        base               63 k
      scim-tables-chinese                     i386
    0.5.6-7                        base              6.2 M
      stardict                                i386
    2.4.5-5                        base              833 k
    Installing for dependencies:
      libchewing                              i386
    0.3.0-8.el5                    base              2.8 M
      scim                                    i386
    1.4.4-41.el5                   base              517 k
      scim-bridge                             i386
    0.4.5-9.el5                    base              109 k
      scim-libs                               i386
    1.4.4-41.el5                   base              453 k
      scim-tables                             i386
    0.5.6-7                        base              346 k

    Transaction Summary
    Install      20 Package(s)
    Upgrade       0 Package(s)

    Total download size: 79 M
    Is this ok [y/N]: n
    Exiting on user Command
    Complete!

...which I'm not too interested in installing on top of all the other
useless stuff I have. BUT it seems like this might be worth a try if I
was interested in readin', writin' and cipherin' in Chinese.