[CentOS] upgrade python to python2.6.4 using yum

Tue Oct 5 10:24:21 UTC 2010
John R. Dennison <jrd at gerdesas.com>

On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 03:46:12PM +0530, Agnello George wrote:

> I did a yum install gcc* , then it installed all the required dependencies .
>
> Then make and make install worked correctly .
>
> Then i had to symbolically link it .
>
> ln -s /usr/local/bin/python2.6 /usr/bin/python

	That's the worst possible "solution" you could have applied.

	The system is completely dependent on the version of python
	supplied with it (2.4.3) and by replacing it with 2.6 you
	have effectively broken large parts of it.

	Why not just go with the version is EPEL that has been
	previously recommended in this thread?  It installs
	side-by-side with the system supplied python and as such
	doesn't break anything.

	There is the added bonus that the EPEL supplied python will
	actually get updated.

							John

--
Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give
offence. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit