[CentOS] OT: linux desktop market share more than 1%

Thu Oct 7 16:36:34 UTC 2010
Benjamin Franz <jfranz at freerun.com>

On 10/07/2010 05:05 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> You can register on this site if you use linux on your desktop, to
> prove that we have at least more than 1% market share today :-)
>
> http://www.dudalibre.com/gnulinuxcounter?lang=en

Argh. This is a lousy way to get that kind of stat. Completely worthless.

A much better approach (and one that doesn't require ten million people
to voluntarily register on a site they are unlikely to even ever hear
of) is just to look at web server logs on high traffic domains having
nothing to do with computers or Linux per se. Checking my own logs for
Google Analytics for the last couple of months, the percentage is around
0.3%.

I love Linux dearly (I've used it for my primary desktop and servers
since 1995), but it really doesn't have much desktop penetration.

--
Benjamin Franz